I have no idea what I’m doing. Honestly. I mean, beyond my usual directionless meandering through day to day life. The other day, the absolutely splendid Mr. Andy Robb nominated me for a thing called the Liebster Award… And normally I wouldn’t do one of these Copy/Paste tell me about your life thingys, but Andy once let me wear his hat and pretend to be an author at YALC, so I kind of owe him. SO HERE GOES!
11 Facts About Me
1) I am terrified of moths and butterflies. I’m fully aware how irrational a fear it is.
2) I never learned to ride a bike, and at this point, I just don’t care. I’m never going to learn at over 27.
3) I’ve got three tattoos, and plans for at least another five or six…
4) I’ve been playing bass now for about fourteen years. I think I reached my plateau when I learned The Trees by Rush around eight years ago.
5) I’ve got a degree in Crime Scene & Forensic Scienes, which is utterly useless, and very seldom comes in handy in my role as a Children’s Bookseller.
6) Everything I know about life came from excessive, obsessive overwatching of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a TV Show which will never be equalled again. Stuff your Game of Thrones.
7) I grew up on a collection of RAF bases, staying still for only a little while. As a result of this, my brother and I became very close, and are best friends still.
8) I am generally always anxious or worried about something. Telling me not to doesn’t in anyway make it better.
9) My parents live in Dubai, and I rent their house in the UK. It’s a sweet deal.
10) I once asked a girl to the leaver’s ball (prom) at High School. We were good friends, but she said no, and then went by herself anyway.
11) I’m gluten intolerant. It won’t kill me if I eat wheat/gluten products, but the after effects will kill friendships. I still do it.
Why did you start blogging?
I’d been working at Waterstones for a while, and had discovered this amazing network of Children’s Booksellers on Twitter and found that my strength as a Bookseller is my recommendations and passion for books. I’ll never draw a chalkboard that’ll bring grown men to tears, but by golly I’ll talk your ear off about books. So, I thought I’d do it online and see how it was received. Quietly, but I’m still plugging away.
Which is your favourite book?
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Technically three books, but shut up. Rich, layered, intelligent, anti-establishment, fantasy, with beautiful prose and a captivating set of universes.
Which is your favourite film?
It varies quite wildly. Pan’s Labyrinth is a firm favourite, but so is Ghostbusters. Also The Shining. Oh, and Silence of the Lambs. And The Thing, and Alien, and Edward Scissorhands…
Which documentary would you recommend and why?
Cosmos with Carl Sagan, which is a stunningly down-to-earth, beautifully well explained collection of science documentaries on subjects from evolution to the big bang, perfect for amateur science enthusiasts.
Also, What Happens in Aldershot Stays in Aldershot, a documentary about my favourite ever band in the world – Reuben. They never had a top forty smash, and they broke up after just three albums, but this film is a great glimpse into the passion of three young guys making music with love and enthusiasm.
What has been your favourite vacation destination ever and why?
Erm. I don’t know? I’m not sure I’ve been anywhere that’s completely blown me away. I normally have a pretty good time in London.
If you had an open ticket to wherever you wanted in the world, where would you go?
Norway, to see the Northern Lights and hunt some trolls, or Southend so I could build sandcastles and read stories.
What would be your dream job?
I’ve always wanted to be a member of the Watcher’s Council of England. Or play bass for a living. Or write – I would kill to have an attention span long enough.
Still kind wish I could be an astronaut.
Who is your biggest blog inspiration?
I think Laura at SisterSpooky Blog gave me my first real feeling of how blogs should work. Hers feels really organic, a mix of genres and ages. It works really well.
Which other hobbies do you have aside from blogging?
I play an awful lot of X-Box. Me and my friends have been playing X-Box live for years now, and it’s one of my favourite ways to catch up and have fun.
I also binge on TV Shows and get emotionally attached to characters, build lego, play music, read (obviously) and sleep. Sleeping is a hobby, right?
Who is your biggest life inspiration?
My brother, Robert.
And Willow Rosenberg.
I’m sure some of these people have been nominated already, but HEY, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I won’t force you at gun point. I don’t even own a gun, so…
- Link back to me in the blog post
- Tell us 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the questions above
- Nominate 10 other bloggers or authors
- Let those you’ve nominated know
- Let me know you’ve taken part so I can see your answers